has announced a new initiative that they believe will help to usher in new fans and reward long term readers. According to IGN
this new initiative is a new imprint called Black Label.
Conceived as a mix of traditional miniseries, prestige format limited series and graphic novels the new line is intended to allow top-name creators creative freedom to undertake new tales involving some of DC’s most iconic characters like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.
Some of the new stories will be similar in scope to the Earth One novels, whilst others will seemingly capture the spirit of the former Elseworlds imprint. But the goal is to tell "edgy" stories set outside of mainline DC continuity.
The current first wave of this initiative will comprise six titles;
1. Superman: Year One
- Frank Miller's new take on the Superman Origin
2. Batman: Last Knight on Earth
- A Dystopic Tale where Batman has only the head of the Joker in a Jar for company
3. Batman: Damned
- A Horror story involving the supernatural murder of the Joker and Batman needing to team up with Constantine to solve it
4. Wonder Woman: Historia (1 of 3)
– “A Homeric epic" that explores the untold history of the Amazons and Queen Hippolyta's reign
5. Wonder Woman: Diana's Daughter
- A new tale from Greg Rucka exploring the rise of a new heroine after Wonder Woman disappeared 20 years previously
6. The Other History of the DC Universe
- John Ridley will re-examine key moments in DCU history through the perspective of minority heroes like John Stewart, Vixen, Katana, Renee Montoya and others.
At this stage no definitive release date has been given, except to say that it will begin sometime later in 2018.
Posted March 2018